Saturday, February 21, 2015

Weekly Reads and Writing! #1


Hello there! So I decided to add a new segment to this blog, a weekly update on what I'm reading and writing! I'll make a post once a week, probably around the end of each week, to share with you what's going on in my writing and reading world! This post kicks off my first Weekly Reads and Writing!


I am currently reading two books, one of which I started today. I am about 15% of the way through with both of them, according to Goodreads.


The first book is The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami, which I started this past week. It's a pretty large book, and I've been reading it rather slowly. Like the other book I've read by Murakami, it holds the same dreamlike air and attention to seemingly mundane things. I really love that about his writing. It's very real, as if you're not reading, but rather, following around a friend and observing their life. I'm really enjoying it, though I do need to pick it up more often. I typically save reading it until night time, but by them I'm too tired to stay up. Whoops.


Then this morning I started reading Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout, on my Kindle. I've heard loads about this book, and was really interested in the alien aspect of it. So far, there is nothing about aliens. Only a ripped douchbag guy that the main character has the hots for, despite her knowing what an ass he it. I can already assume there is going to be a freaking relationship happening between them. So far, I'm not amazed at all with this book, but it is decent, and I'm willing to keep giving it a shot.


This past week I've been working a lot on worldbuilding for a story/stories I plan to write. I have several ideas for novels, so I'm not sure yet which one I'm going to start. However, I do need to do lots of worldbuilding before I can even think about writing one of them.

Previously, I had written out a short, incomplete history, and a bunch of towns, places and a few people. So I had some basis for a country and what I imagined it to look like. It is actually based off of a country I created back in middle school. But now I need to work out the nitty gritty, the details that make the place whole and realistic. 

I plowed through this week with writing and finally have written a completed history for my country! Though it's not completely detailed, and I'll have to edit it later, I'm very relieved to have it done. Over everything, creating a history for your land is the hardest and least fun, in my opinion. It ended up being just shy of 3,000 words, or 6 pages, including a timeline. I am currently working on writing out the main races, secondary races, and then the common creatures found in the land. That's at least a bit more fun! After that, I'll focus on the landmarks, cities and towns, which I find to be a lot of fun and really open creatively.

I'm pretty excited to keep writing and to see how the books I'm reading turn out! Hope you enjoyed my first Weekly Reads and Writing!
 


2 comments:

  1. World building is one of the most important parts of a story, in my opinion! I am interested to see what you think of Obsidian. It looks interesting!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. World building is a very important part of all stories. My review for Obsidian is now up, if you want to check it out! Thanks for the comment! :3

      Delete