Thursday, April 9, 2015

Flowers in the Attic by V.C. Andrews


    Beautifully told, Flowers in the Attic was a story that took my breath away. It held a haunting, quiet tone, with the perfect mood for such a story. The characters were strong, each with distinct personalities, and went through magnificent character growth, as did their relationships. The plot twist and betrayal took me completely by surprise.
    This book was filled with so much emotion. I felt so angry at the mother the entire time, a growing hatred that left me shocked at the end. The relationship between Chris and Cathy, although wrong, came about naturally, and was very well done. The narration was lovely, doing a great job at expressing not only Cathy’s feelings and life, but also the lives of those around her. I felt that this book did an amazing job at showing how impressionable children, at any age, are.
    It had a somewhat sickly feeling to it, which added to the mood and expressed perfectly the struggle the children went through. Although bittersweet, the ending tied everything up, leaving me feeling satisfied, despite the harshness of the book.


No comments:

Post a Comment